Forum

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

【Closed】Ask questions (July 2020)

Quote from DokGY on July 23, 2020, 12:12 pm

あきらめてもどるのだな

how to interpret のだな?

Noun + だな

だな is used to emphasize the sentence.

の is used to change verb to noun.

Quote from Marshall on July 23, 2020, 1:31 pm
Quote from DokGY on July 23, 2020, 12:12 pm

あきらめてもどるのだな

how to interpret のだな?

Is the sentence trying to say, "give up and return"? If so, why turn it into a noun? why not just あきらめてもどるのだな?

Which of the following sentences be ok? And why?

僕はトムさんに会います。

僕はトムさんが会います。

Quote from MasterBlue on July 23, 2020, 5:13 pm

Which of the following sentences be ok? And why?

僕はトムさんに会います。

僕はトムさんが会います。

The first one.

Because Tom is your object. And 会う is an intransitive verb so you can't use に.

You can refer particle course for more information.

Cool, thanks Marshall 😁

Also, if に is not needed, then the sentence would have to be: 僕はトムさん会います。?

Or have I misunderstood that part? 😅

I think marshall meant to say you can't use を.

If you say 僕はトムさんが会います, the sentence structure is very confusing. What is the role of 僕 and トム? It isn't established here, because you haven't used any particles to link them to the verb 合う.

Now if you say 僕はトムさんに会います, here に is acting on トムさん, so it is clear from トムさんに会います that someone will meet Tom. Combined with 僕は、it follows that "I will meet Tom."

Btw, you can also use と in place of に

Quote from bluemystic on July 24, 2020, 2:53 am

I think marshall meant to say you can't use を.

If you say 僕はトムさんが会います, the sentence structure is very confusing. What is the role of 僕 and トム? It isn't established here, because you haven't used any particles to link them to the verb 合う.

Now if you say 僕はトムさんに会います, here に is acting on トムさん, so it is clear from トムさんに会います that someone will meet Tom. Combined with 僕は、it follows that "I will meet Tom."

Btw, you can also use と in place of に

Ok, thank you that clears things up 😄

Hello! I am kind of stumped, I am going through the lessons and I don’t understand “wa”what I mean by that I don’t understand how or when to use it. Can you like explain like I’m 5 please ?

thanks if you can!

Quote from Potatochip on July 24, 2020, 7:38 am

Hello! I am kind of stumped, I am going through the lessons and I don’t understand “wa”what I mean by that I don’t understand how or when to use it. Can you like explain like I’m 5 please ?

thanks if you can!

You can refer to particle course.

Can you consider verbs with う(く,つ,む....with the exception of す)る to be type one verbs? I have seen multiple verbs like this change into type one polite form. So are those kind of verbs type one verbs?